March 3-8 2014 - DES MOINES, IA
A week of professional development for independent people.
From the people behind Market Day comes SPRING TRAINING: a week of knowledge sharing, problem solving, commiserating, and professional development for independent people. This isn't for technology startups — no flashy investors or fast-talking sales guys here. Just real people, like you, who want better tools to support their independent lives and businesses.
MONDAY (March 3)
Live workshop and Q&A session
- Time: 6:30pm-8:00pm
- Location: 4th Street Theatre (Java Joe's)
- Passholders: Reserved seating and information packet
- Everyone else: On-site registration if space permits
Come with us on a survey of Central Iowa's creative landscape for artists, designers, freelancers, makers, and other creative independent professionals. Passholders for make\break:GO receive a printed information packet of creative opportunities and resources in the region.
Not sure about Spring Training? Come on Monday for free! We'll have All Access passes for sale on-site.
TUESDAY (March 4)
Lunch, learning, networking, snacks
- Time: 11:30am — 1:00pm
- Location: Arthur Davis Room, Greater Des Moines Partnership
- Passholders: Complimentary lunch and admission
- Everyone else: Free event! Bring a brown bag lunch.
Des Moines Arts Festival director Stephen King is your host for a make\break lunch and learn and networking event addressing some hot topics for independent people.
WEDNESDAY (March 5)
Video hangout and social media chat
We're assembling an expert crew of independent people with experience on both sides of the table — those who review and curate applications and portfolios, and those who depend on getting their work accepted.
Hang with us all day on Twitter and Facebook (oh yes, there will be hashtags), and follow along with the free online video hangout Wednesday night where we answer YOUR questions.
We'll kick off the conversation at noon and start the hangout at 7pm CST. Questions from passholders will take priority throughout the day.
THURSDAY (March 6)
Storytelling and social event
- Time: Happy hour 6pm-7pm, presentations 7pm-9pm
- Location: Kirkwood Ballroom, 400 Walnut Street, downtown Des Moines
- Passholders: C.I.P. treatment, including a special badge, complimentary drink tickets, and a chance to practice the art of self-promotion
- Everyone else: the whole town's invited! bring your brother, uncle, sister, cousin, neighbor, and nemesis
Iowa Public Radio's John Pemble is your host during this night for Iowa's artists and creative professionals to share what they love about what they do with a fun and supportive crowd.
SPRING TRAINING passholders will be featured prominently along with our specially curated group of presenters. Get the C.I.P. treatment — Creative Independent Professional, of course — including complimentary drink tickets and a fancy badge that announces your status as a maker to everyone in attendance.
FRIDAY (March 7)
Break free of your craft room, basement office, or cube farm and come cowork with some seriously fun people. Sort of like working at the coffeeshop, except the coffee is free and nobody's going to look at you sideways for plugging in your laptop and phone to charge.
- Time: 9am-5pm
- Location: Flock Studio + Community
- Passholders: Only open to SPRING TRAINING passholders!
Bonus! Join us at Art Noir's HUE party on Friday, March 7
Our friends at Art Noir, the young professional outreach organization of the fantastic Des Moines Art Center, are having their next HUE event (emerald, this time!) on Friday March 7. SPRING TRAINING passholders can purchase discounted tickets for HUE — we'll be there!
SATURDAY (March 8)
A full day of workshops, panel discussions, and hands-on activities
- Time: 10am-4pm
- Location: John and Mary Pappajohn Education Center, downtown Des Moines
- Passholders: it's all for you! Your Spring Training pass grants access to the all talks, activites, and workshops on Saturday
- Everyone else: on-site registration will be available (still just $99)
Get your shit together in six hours or less.
make\break GO! is the main event of our SPRING TRAINING week. We've got three great professional classrooms in the classy-as-heck Pappajohn Center in downtown Des Moines. And we're prepped to load you up with workshops and activities on web and technical skills, independent business skills (taxes OMG), and those oh-so-tricky "soft skills" like talking about yourself, personal productivity, and winning over clients.
You'll also have a chance to share what you know, if you like. After all, teaching is the best way to learn.
We'll provide lunch, coffee and snacks, loads of handouts and workbooks, opportunities to network and meet potential collaborators, and many other benefits to get you on the road to living the creative and independent life that you've been dreaming about.
- Fancy badge with your name on it!
- Reserved spot at Central Iowa's Creative Landscape workshop + guaranteed printed and electronic info packet
- Ticket and meal for Tuesday’s Unprofessional Development Luncheon
- Email recap of top lessons from the Unprofessional Development Luncheon
- Your questions take priority during Wednesday's online hangout and Q&A
- C.I.P. Status (Creative Independent Professional) at Thursday’s Meet Your Makers event
- Free day of coworking with other independents on Friday
- Access to all talks/workshops for Saturday's main event
- Coffee, lunch and snacks on Saturday
- Printed workbooks, handouts, and guides from Saturday's sessions—even if you can't make it
- Electronic copies of many workbooks and handouts from Saturday's sessions
- Goodies and discounts from our friends and partners
- Access to any audio or video recordings from the week
- Discounted tickets for Art Noir's HUE Party on Friday, March 7